It started out normally with me feeding Little Lady in the living room when Brother wandered off to play. Or so I thought.
Pretty soon it got quiet. Too quiet. This generally means trouble. Moms- you know what I'm talking about. I called out to Brother and got no response. I pacified myself into thinking he'd gone downstairs to play in our toy room.Nope.
A few minutes later I hear him calling out for me and crying. Since its not as easy for me to go him while feeding sister, I tried to get him to come to me. He didn't come. I didn't think too much about it. He's two. He's stubborn. I figured if he wanted me badly enough he'd come. He never came. After a few minutes he was still calling for me, so I put down sister and went to investigate. Lo and behold he'd gone into our guest room- aka my dumping grounds for baby carriers, diaper bags, anything I want out of sight- and had been rummaging through the diaper bag. What did he find? Lotion! Extra Emollient Night Cream (Mary Kay- great stuff) to be more exact.
Now you need a little background. Sister has INCREDIBLY dry skin. Thank you eczema. We lather her up with lotion and hydro-cortisone cream about twice a day. Not to be left out, Brother usually asks for lotion too- so we put a little on his hands and face now and again. Well, true to his two-year-old-itis, he'd tried to put lotion on "all by himself" this time. We are talking
GOBS.
Brother was also saying "Yuck, Ick," and trying unsuccessfully to clean out his mouth.
Fantastic.
He'd eaten it as well.
Well, I took a picture, called King- and we came to the consensus that we thought he'd be ok. I hurried and cleaned him up and then-just in case- went to try and look up the ingredients of night cream on the internet. I was hoping not to see any toxic warning labels. Well, finding the exact ingredients was harder than I thought- so I typed, "child ate lotion" into google. Not much. I tried, "Is lotion poisonous?" Bingo. Some article came up about some hand-creams being poisonous! PANIC!
I frantically called the Mary Kay Customer Service trying to determine if theirs was indeed in the poisonous category. After a recorded, touch-dial to select, delay I was transferred to a real person. By now I was getting frantic. I hurried and asked if she could look up the ingredients and any warning labels for their Extra Emollient Night Cream and told her why. Instead of a prompt response, she started asking for my name, my address, my phone number, my son's name. My thoughts (and some spoken words) were, "NO! Not a time to fill out the survey/ customer information! LOOK UP THE PRODUCT! I WANT TO KNOW IF HE'S EATEN SOMETHING TOXIC." "Sorry, mam. This is procedure." Then I got put on hold. She came back on the line and very slowly read me the ingredients. "WELL, IS IT HARMFUL IF INGESTED?" "What is your son's name again?" "CAN WE SKIP THE SURVEY?! IS IT HARMFUL?" "Hold on mam, I'll need to transfer you." Hold. I hung up.
Called back again. Got someone else. I hurried and explained the situation again and she said the other lady was following procedure and now she needed to start again. At this point I'm getting closer to hysteria. She again told me the ingredients (which meant close to nothing) and when I asked her if there were any warning labels she told me she needed to check. AGG! Thankfully, came back quickly and then re-directed my call to poison control who verified that no, Mary Kay's night cream is not toxic. Even if he ate a lot it would probably just give him diarrhea. THANK YOU! A REAL ANSWER. Relief.
I got off the phone and was still so geared up that I had to call King and half-cry out my story. It helped. I didn't poison my son (or let him poison himself). He's going to be fine. He'll live. I'll hide the lotion. Got it.
So today I am counting my blessings. He's two, he's curious, he's stubborn, he won't sleep, but he's fine. He's alive and happy (mostly). I get to hug and hold and scold and love him.
And Extra Emollient Night Cream is not toxic.
4 comments:
OH yikes! Not a fun event for you. I found out that my printer ink isn't poisonous in about the same way. Moral of the story - just call poison control, they are much quicker and very nice about the whole thing. They didn't make me feel stupid for calling about my son licking my printer ink.
Sophie ate anti-bacterial dishsoap, thank goodness for poison control! They bottle said that it was toxic and I was freaked. I definitely feel like it was my welcome to toddler-hood! Only a couple more years for me and Sophie to survive. :)
Sounds like a nightmare, love that they put you on hold. I have called poison control a couple times and they are always super helpful and FAST! They even call to check in later if you want them too. Luckily, Vinegar Windex is not harmful. Gotta love those scares!
Yep, four kids later and I've got the number for poison control hanging on the inside of the kitchen cupboard door. I believe the last time I called Tyler had eaten some of my Neutrogena Eye Cream. After finding no toxic ingredients, the male nurse on the other end of Poison Control said, "Honey, it's not yummy for him, it just makes you look yummy!" LOL!! We both got a laugh out of that. But I have to say Kuddo's to Poison Control people! I really appreciate them. They help me feel better about being a mom. If there's a problem they'll know and they'll tell me what to do about it. My first call I believe was Anya (now 10) eating an unknown amount of toothpaste. Thankfully instead of me rushing to the hospital, I was told to give her some milk and she may have a queazy tummy but she'll be okay. It's such a relief to have answers from people who know when I'm about to go insane!
Post a Comment