This story has the potential to get confusing without using any names. I'll do my best.
We've been housing King's Dad's car while he went on a trip. Call us the local airport shuttle. That's not a big deal. The difficulty came when on Sunday night, his dad called to say they had landed, and could we pick them up?
Sure thing.
Oh, wait. It's snowed. Again.
Doesn't sound like a big deal. But our shovel is broken- its been well used this year, and of course, we'd run out of ice melt. It being Sunday (night) and all- we're not headed to the store till Monday. So King tries to gun it out. Backwards. On snow. Up a sloped driveway (yes, it slopes towards the street). And can't get it out. There's ice under the snow. He tried for a few minutes to no avail. Don't worry, he did the logical thing and took our car to pick up his dad. On his way out he called me and asked that I find a nice neighbor with some ice melt so we could get the car out.
Here's the tricky part.
First I call neighbor #1 right across the street. Very kind. Always helpful. No ice-melt, just rock salt. "No problem!" I tell them. "There's others I can call. Don't worry about it."
Then I call neighbor #2. Right in the middle of the phone call as I'm rambling this long story out (and sounding very much like an idiot), someone knocks on my door. It's neighbor #1. He worried about it. In his hand is a bucket of rock salt. I stumble out a jumbled, "Oh, nevermind. We've got it covered," and head outside with neighbor #1. We put some rock salt down, tried to shovel- unsuccessfully- and decided to wait and see what good the salt had done when King got home.
I go inside.
The phone rings. It's neighbor #2. The husband this time. "Hey, the wife said you called. Something about a car being stuck. I have a truck and a tow strap, and a four-wheeler with a mini plow. Let me come over and see how I can help." GREAT! AWESOME! (Because, really - I think we're going to need that truck and tow strap!)
I go outside to meet neighbor #2. Neighbors #1 AND #2 show up simultaneously.
Neighbor #1: "Hey, I just went up to Neighbor #3. He has a snow blower. He's coming down to help."
Just then, neighbor #3 walks down the street with a snow blower.
Immediately after, King pulls up.
I have three neighbors, a bucket of rock salt, a snow blower, and a four-wheeler with a plow ready at my command. Feeling sheepish, I try to explain I had only TRIED to call one... but was grateful for the help!
So they got to work!
Neighbor #1 put down more salt. Neighbor #3 cleared the entire (very large) driveway with his snow blower so they could give the car a running start up the sloped driveway. Neighbor #2 used his mini plow and cleared the mountain of snow left from the snow plow on the street that barred the exit.
Vwala. Mission accomplished. Car freed.
And then Neighbor #2 looked at the sorry state of our other driveway (with our car in it), had us move our van, and cleared that one as well.
Thank you. Thank you. You kind people.
We live in a great neighborhood.
1 comment:
Awesome! I love your neighbors too!
Post a Comment