Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Sleepless in Centerville

Now that you've seen the happy side of our boy- you should know he's only that way when he's had sufficient sleep. Which he hasn't lately.
Unlike our unlucky neighbors (who's baby would LITERALLY go for 24 hours without sleep and then crash for 6... then repeat...) he hasn't taken this quite to the extreme. However, there was a stretch where within a 30 hour span he'd only slept about 5 hours. YUCK!
While things aren't quite that bad now, he's still not sleeping great. The worst is he is a picky sleeper- meaning he won't just sleep anywhere.
For example:
His Crib: NO WAY. You can count to 30 and I guarantee he'll wake up.
Mom's Arms: Certainly. This is his favorite. Unfortunately I sleep sitting up propped up by pillows about 1/2 the time to satisfy this kiddo.
The Swing: Have I mentioned that I love our swing (its actually my mother-in-laws). He'll be satisfied for about 2 hours or less in the swing.... if its moving. Don't you dare turn it off. We've since bought a lot more C batteries to fuel this lifesaver.
Anywhere else: sketchy. He picks and chooses.
Now- if our neighbor "ice-cold-goats-milk" holds him... of course he's out. Why do babies do that? Do just what is expected when someone else is holding them- just not mom or dad.
So- if any of you have any suggestions on how to get our almost 5 week old to sleep more normally- we're open to suggestions. We feel like we can't force him to sleep in his crib yet- he's so little! He gets so so so so so mad. But... really, sleeping sitting up is not so great.

6 comments:

Jeff said...

Alka Seltzer Night Time Plus Cold Medicine Effervescent Tablets (the soothing lemon kind) always help me sleep better. And it tastes better than Sprite. Maybe you could try that.

Alyssa said...

We read BabyWise, and really liked a lot of what it said, its hard to let your baby cry, but after 2 months the boys were sleeping through the night(6 hours), and life was amazing! The biggest thing I took from the book was a sleep, eat, wake cycle, where you don't let the baby go to sleep right after a bottle except at night. It makes for happier babies, which I think is why my boys are so good. I didn't really have much of a choice with the crying thing though since I had two, and only limited arms ;) I know that their are lots of books on how to get your baby to sleep better. We swaddled the boys and they wouldn't go to sleep unless they were swaddled, which had its pros and cons. But that really helped. Good luck with the whole thing, its no fun to always be holding a baby and trying to sleep!! The first 3 months are the hardest and then it gets way better! Hang in there!

Alyosha said...

So sad. You should just leave him here one night. There;s not much you can do at this point. Just try and get him to sleep any way you can, because the more he sleeps the happier he'll be (and the more he'll sleep). It will get better.

Ice-Cold Goat's Milk said...

He sleeps well here because of the nitrous oxide we pump through the vents. This is also how we got him to smile so hugely in those pictures...

Amanda said...

Our baby loved her vibrating bassinet with the nature sounds playing. Sometimes we did just have to let her cry though (starting when she was around a month old).

heather said...

Well, after reading all the other posts, my advice is not so good. I would just do whatever my baby wanted. I mean, Marissa is almost five months old and it wasn't until this week that I started training her to sleep through the night. Like Alyssa said, "let your baby cry" is what I had to do with Marissa to get her to sleep and not eat during the night and now she sleeps 8 hrs straight!
Gabe was much like Hyrum as a baby. I finally realized that he didn't get enough sleep and would only sleep for an hour or two and then wake up because he was still hungry and I just wasn't supplying enough milk. so maybe the reason he is doesn't get good sleep is b/c he is hungry.
I don't know if you are nursing or not but you could try giving him some formula right before bed. I started doing this with Gabe and it helped. Keep us updated with this. And it does get better after the first 3 months!