Lent begins tomorrow. Some give up sugar. Not I. (Though I should.) Some give up sins. I'm trying. But my goal for Lent this year is to give up clutter and junk. Sounds odd- I know. I'm wholeheartedly buying into trying to keep life SIMPLE. We've been in our home now about 3 1/2 years and I keep wondering how we've accumulated so much! Though much of it was discounted/free, we still have too much. We don't need THINGS to be happy. So using a great idea from Clover Lane I'm about to embark on the 40 bags in 40 days challenge. Here's how it goes. Each day of Lent (and I'm skipping weekends) you pick an area of your home. Some areas will require more than one day- and that's fine. Each day you organize, declutter, and improve that area. Sort out what you keep, what gets moved to another belonging place, what you donate and what you toss. Simple sounding- harder in practice. The goal is to remove or donate 40 bags of "stuff" you don't need, don't use, and doesn't contribute to the environment you want in your home. My areas are (and there are only 31 because of weekends):
Filing cabinent x3 (wow- there's a LOT there that could go- I might get 3-4 bags here!)
Office shelves
Game Drawers
Cleaning Closet
Man Bathroom
Master Bathroom
H Toys
E Toys
Basement Toys
My closet .... my hardest spot!
King's closet
Laundry/Craft room x 2
Baby Gear and totes
Utility Room x 2
Built in cupboard x2
Kitchen x 3
Garage x 3
Shed x 2
Piano books and books
Car
Guest room closet
Linen shelves
Now, I don't have to go in order- I just have to complete one area a day. I plan on having the kids help so I 1) go faster, 2) include them, and 3) hopefully teach them we want to stay organized and SIMPLE as a family!
Wish me luck... I'm fairly sure I'm going to need it...
4 comments:
Good Luck! I miss you guys, come visit sometime! :) Love, R
I will clarify, I thought I was logged in as my mother, but I wasn't. You used to live behind us! I hope that clears things up. :)
:) I knew who "R" was. PS. We're trying to get tickets to your play- we'd LOVE to come- but its the dreaded "Session" time of year... so its still up in the air...
Good luck! Also...I might steal this idea. I'm pretty good at decluttering, but I never want stuff to become important to me.
Post a Comment