Some days I hit the end of the day, and realize I didn't smile much.
I'm trying to notice the funny things my children say and do and SMILE more. Enjoy it! We had the best lesson on Sunday during relief society. The woman teaching shared how her dad would always tell their family, "Whatever you do, for goodness sakes, enjoy it!!!" I'm trying. Here's some things that have made me smile lately.
A while ago I was singing the "Do, Rey, Mi" song from "The Sound if Music." Millaker loved it, but not knowing all the words nor the title of the song would request the "doe a deer song." The other day when I decided to introduce the kids to the actual movie, Eddie ran to get Millaker saying, "Hurry! Then we can watch the female deer movie!"
Sorry Julie Andrews.
The Kid is a clown. Literally. He loves to laugh and to make people laugh. So much so that he's developed a loud, fake, but amusing laugh he forces out to try and make others laugh. The other night he was wide awake when I put him down for bed. He spent the next HOUR laughing loudly at... Nothing. I'm sure Guy was amused. I listened by the stairs and by his door for a few moments. This kid...
Undeterred.
We also laugh when he looks around, sees his sister's hair all done, or with a headband, and then high-tails it to my bathroom, pulls out a headband, and puts it on himself. He's so proud of himself and struts around the house the rest of the day with... a headband. I need to take a picture. He'll either love it, or despise the picture one day.
UPDATE: here's the proof.
Just to keep it real:
Last night I texted my sister, cousin, and King that I HATED TOYS!
I was all proud of how reasonable and calm I'd been all day. Despite the fights over toys, the hitting ("but I said sorry!" ... not understanding that hitting, just because you PLAN to say sorry after- is not ok), the mess etc. When it came time to clean up, NO ONE would clean. Over an hour later, as I was feeding the baby, Eddie brought me up a broken pair of blinds Millaker had pulled down from the wall. Last straw. It literally broke the camel's back. I hollered, had them clean up, and put 1/2 the toys AWAY in an in-accessable place threatening to throw them out permanently if they took them out of their place before I got them out (next week!). In a not-to-pleasant voice I sat the older kids down and explained how their behavior that day had broken just about every. single. family. rule (peace, respect, order, asking, obedience!). Thankfully, we pulled it back together and ended the day on a somewhat cheerful note. Some days... I'm glad they go to sleep. We start again the next day.


1 comment:
I love this! I feel like you and I are in very similar phases of life right now. I have definitely been trying more consciously lately to notice the great things about being a mother of young kids, and we swear by only having a small portion of the toys accessible at a time! It makes such a difference!
Glad to see that things are more or less back to normal after your latest addition!
Post a Comment