This was supposed to be a post about the four year old- but it needs some preface, so bear with me. The next post will be about him.
I'm a tad sleepy (and hence grumpy) grumpy today.
You see, I have three children (obviously). They are old enough to sleep through the night. And yet lately, they don't. Case in point. Last night.
11 pm: King and I finished watching Anne of Avonlea (which we started a few nights ago) and hence got to bed a tad late. Well, late for us!
Come 11:45 Eddie starts to stir. "Please go back to sleep! Please go back to sleep!" I start to chant in my mind. No use. She starts to cry- which will soon wake up Millaker if I don't hurry. She can't find her "siddy tup." Luckily, mom knows. Now, PLEASE go back to sleep!
12:30 Millaker starts crying. I stuff a pillow over my ears. In five minutes she's asleep again.
1:30 ish (its getting blurry here): Eddie comes in. "I want to sleep by you." No-sir-ee. Back to bed with you!
2:30 ish: Guy comes in. "My mosquito bite itches." I hold him for a few minutes so he won't scratch it until it stops itching. I fall asleep in the process.
2:50: I wake up again. Time to go to your own bed, kiddo.
4:30: Millaker wakes up. No ammount of ignoring is helping. This time I petition King. "PLEASE! You get her a bottle! I need sleep!" The kind husband blindly stumbles for the kitchen to make a bottle.
4:35: "Hon, what do you put on mosquito bites- Guy says he can't sleep." Ug. Lavender- above the fridge- wait, he's STILL UP?!
4:35.5: I'm already back to sleep.
6:15 My phone alarm rings. I turn it off.
6:30 The alarm clock by the bed rings. I turn it off.
6:40 Eddie is up. She has to go potty. Once done, I send her back to bed
6:45 She comes back in- she has to go potty again (this happens all the time!).
6:55 Though Eddie returned to her room, all she really managed to do was wake up Millaker.
7:04 King groans in resignation. It's time to wake up. We lost the battle. It might be a long day.
If this were a once-in-a-blue-moon scenario we might be ok. Sadly, that's turning out to not be the case. We (I) sat down and had a serious discussion with the kids this morning. We are going to STAY in bed. You can get out to go potty. Period. That's it. End of discussion. Mosquito bites are not good justification for waking half the household. Water will have to wait till morning (they have a sippy cup in their room so they can get a drink and go back to bed! If its empty by now- too bad!). NO coming in to sleep with mom. The answer is NO! Do you think any of this information sunk in? I highly doubt it- its so hard to be consistent at night when you're only 1/3 awake and tired as all get-out. Here's hoping tonight goes better! In the mean-time- we're napping today! (And the struggles with napping will be saved for a later post!)
No comments:
Post a Comment