Sunday, March 25, 2012

Lately.

Finally!  We went on a trip!
We took a mini vacation down to St. George.  We left for my Mom's Monday, then down to an aunt and uncles on Tuesday.  We went to the rec center, hiked twice, watched a movie, went to the family fun center where the boys rode a go-cart and then we all went miniature golfing.  It turns out our kids are TOO miniature for that still...Brother would hit the ball (like he was holding a bat!) and then run catch it and put it RIGHT next to the whole where he'd hit it again and again and again (one inch away mind you) until he hit it in.  Sister mostly sucked her fingers and picked up Brother's ball.  We had a great time though:great food and great company with family.  Because we stayed with relatives it was REALLY cheap.  
Now I'm wondering if I'm ready to get back to "real life".  I've been having a REALLY hard time being patient and calm lately.  Is it because I have three kids?  A crazy 2 year old?  That I have a "new" (almost 5 months old) baby?  That I need a swift kick to the pants?  Possibly all of the above.  So- like every Sunday- I'm setting some small weekly (and some other short term) goals.  In truth, if I accomplish them it will be HUGE.  I find that if I share them with you all, it makes me feel more accountable and I work a tad harder at them.  So here goes:
1)  BE PATIENT.  I can talk nice, be calm, and listen longer.  I AM NOT IN A RUSH- even though I sometimes think I am.  What is the hurry.  The only deadlines in my day are breakfast, joyschool, naptime, dinner, bedtime.  Time in between is flexible and I need to remember that. SLOW DOWN.  Enjoy.  R.E.L.A.X.  This week:  I will put MYSELF in timeout (10 pushups) when I speak unkindly to the kids.  They have a consequence.  So will I.  (I hate pushups...)
2) Now that I just said slow down, I'm adding things:  Work.  Hard.  See progress.  (I miss that some days).  Do yard work, start on the list of projects you have in your head.  Next up is yardwork and picking a color for my currently PINK bathroom.  It needs some new paint desperately!  If I wipe it down one day, prime it the next, paint it the next, and do finishing touches the next- I SHOULD theoretically be done in a week.  My goal is to have that painted before the end of April. This week: Spend at least 4 hours doing yard work.  Even if its just 45 min a day.
3) First things first.  I keep postponing scripture study to the end of the day when its quiet.  That is fine.  It works.  But once the kids are asleep- I NEED TO DO THAT FIRST!  This week:  Make scripture study the FIRST thing that happens after kids are asleep.  It can be during nap time (if all are quiet) or when they are in bed.  100% scripture study this week.
As Brother now says, "I think I can, I think I can, I think I can..."

1 comment:

Lessa said...

I am glad you had a good trip! Im bummed I didn't get to see you while you were down! I have a goal for you too... don't be so hard on yourself. We're all learning and growing! I love you, Chris! I miss you!