Tuesday, July 28, 2009

The tortoise and the hare

I decided I wanted to plant a garden. Good idea right? Right. I weeded, I planned (a little), and I planted. Some things I planted weren't what I thought they were. I.E. I have a zinnia flower in the middle of my tomatoes, and a squash plant instead of a pumpkin. Oh well.
The summer started out great. The weeds were growing slow and I was wicked fast pulling them up. "No sweat," I thought to myself. I can keep this up.
Fast forward a few months: Besides the fact that snails have taken over the spinach and the lettuce- we have bigger problems. The weeds and I have reversed roles. Now the weeds are wicked fast and I am slow at pulling them up. After a conversation with another mother in my ward, in which I mentioned that the weeds were winning the race this summer, she said that her goal was five minutes a day in her garden. FIVE MINUTES. I could do that... I think. It seems less daunting than thinking, "I'm going to go outside in the hot sun and try to pull up the stubborn weeds that out number me a thousand to one." Lo and behold- five minutes a day has proven to be FANTASTIC. Partially because I can't keep track of five minutes and usually weed for closer to ten. It also helps that my garden is little. Maybe slow and steady does win the race... maybe.

3 comments:

Esther said...

Just wait till your little one(s) get a little bigger. Built-in weeders, as I'm sure you well know, since I got the idea from your mom!

Janene said...

hooray. Here's another trick. I water the night before, and go out bright and early to beat the heat. The wet soil helps, and it helps waking up before everyone...then I only have to clean ME up. :o)

Unknown said...

How many days until you find out what your baby is?