Monday, January 16, 2012

Catch up and Joy.

This is a really, really, ridiculously long and non-edited post.
Just thought I should warn you.

I knew I'd end up playing catch-up after Christmas and New Years, I just didn't know I'd be THIS far behind.  It's been quite the ride.  Let me explain.
 Note: if you don't want all the details here's the nutshell:  all fun, all sick, all better.

A few days before Christmas I called my mom at my wits end.  Motherhood was out to destroy me- that or my emotions, or sleepness nights, or my children were.  Since she's part Saint (you'll believe my by the end of this story) she came up that day, helped with the children, let me nap, let King and I go on a date, and then took the oldest two home with her the next morning for a few days.  Somewhere in that mix- after she'd been watching the baby- she suggested we have her checked for reflux and was certain she had colic.  It turns out she was right on both accounts.  So now baby has some medicine- and that is helping!
Then came Christmas Eve.  It was a blast!  My younger brother and parents were kind enough to come here for the festivities.  We -of course- reinacted the nativity and a said uncle played part of Ceasar, Shepherd, Angel, Star, Donkey... he might have had a few other costume changes.  It was a good night together and I liked how quiet and simple it was.
Christmas morning we headed out to church first (as it started at 9 am and I was playing the organ that day too!).  There was lots of music and I loved it!  I wish Christmas fell on a Sunday every year! 
After church we opened presents with my parents and King's mom.  Then we had a fantastic Christmas brunch! Except for the fact that my children were SPOILED- I loved it. 
The next day my family helped us clean up and then headed home.  We did a few more odd jobs and then headed south as well.  The next week is a blur of parties to me: high-school friend party for me, one for King, a family party, and another family party!   It was great to see family and friends and soak in all the time off of work King had!  We headed home New Years eve morning to party (My mom's birthday is on New Years) and get ready to bless baby the next day.  Mom and Dad headed back up with us to play and to help. Amidst the games that evening, I started to feel sick.  Ug.  That's where this all started.  I skipped out and went to bed early hoping to feel better for the big day in the morning.
The next morning we got ready for church and headed out.  We'd only invited King and I's brothers and sisters, parents, and grandparents.  Even with JUST those people- we had over 50 people come and were missing several!   The circle to bless A. had JUST my brothers, King's brothers, our dad's, and grandpas... I think we had 18 people in the circle including the Bishop! Everyone headed to our house after church for dinner and good company! 
The next morning- all three girls in our family had pink eye.  Joy. 
The NEXT morning, brother got a cold and baby got croup.
The NEXT morning, King was sick too.
The NEXT morning, I was better, but everyone else was sick. (King only made it to one day of work this week...)
Just as we think everyone is on the mend, I start to feel like I'm getting a nursing infection.  Sunday I go to church with Hyrum and the baby because now KING has pink eye and Sister has a cold. 
I got home from church and slept the next four hours till dinner.... and went down hill from there.
King went to work the next morning.  My dad called to check on how we were feeling, and after talking to me, headed up to help.  He ended up staying and taking care of the kids until Wednesday- I stayed in bed.  Wednesday I gave up and headed to the dr.  WHAT WAS WRONG WITH ME?  Hot, cold, shivering, roasting, aching, back hurst.... what is it?!  Kidney infection.  Lovely.  They put me on antibiotics that took 3 days to take effect.  King ended up taking the rest of the week to take care of the kids and myself.  I wonder if his boss thinks he's moved to part time....
SO....
Now we're on the mend.  Two weeks later there is light at the end of the tunnel!  "A" has medicine for reflux, colds are disappering, pink eye is gone, A has started sleeping better since we put her on her stomach (like our other two before her.... its the only thing that works...), King is back at work, and I am out of bed and on antibiotics!!  Whew!  Its been quite the ride. 
NOW- let me say a few things about all this.  I had LOTS and LOTS of time to think over the last few weeks.  Something about staying in bed for hours and days on end....
and I think I've come to a few conclusions.
1) Mom jobs are important.  I watched my dad, my mom, and my husband run around taking care of the thinks I normally do.  My kids, the house, the laundry, the shopping, etc.  I had virtually no part of it.  Everything was falling apart until they stepped in to help! And all of a sudden I could SEE what impact all those jobs combined had.  Sure, I know- just as every mom knows- that mom jobs "count".  That laundry, cooking, cleaning etc are important- but it is hard to see that every day.  It is easy to write those off as something not important.  BUT THEY ARE. When they slide- my house is in ruins, and we feel the difference in our evironment, in our kids, in how we respond to them and difficulties around us etc.  Wow, I am so grateful for the help I recieved!!!  My dad mentioned as he left, "I'm glad I'm not the mom...."  Some days I feel that way- but I recieved a huge BOOST of affirmation that what I do day in and day out counts.  It matters.  Its hard.  And it counts.  More on this later I am sure.
2) I admire those you know, read about, hear about that are cheerful through their sicknesses- especially the long ones.  I won't ever be the one you hear about.  I have a hard time when I'm fully healthy and strong, but I know people who despite what ailments they have (my mother and a good friend) still are positive and happy- still find good things in life.  Those people know about Joy and I admire them for it! I've been working with Brother to memorize a few scriptures- he knows the easy ones/ the short ones.  One is 2 Ne 2:25  Adam fell that men might be and men are that they might have JOY.  I thought a lot about that as I was sick in bed.  What have those people figured out that I haven't?  I found NO joy in my situation.  As much as I'd like to sleep in every morning and have people bring me food all the time, I HATE to be sick.  I HATE to be STUCK in bed.  I didn't have joy.  I was in pain, and my body was doing crazy things.  I was crying, not smiling.  But what about my friend Amy?  She's been sick for over a decade.  Sure- some years have been much better than others, but she hasn't given up yet!  Mom: she's been sick since I was four- and probably longer than that!  She didn't turn over her responsibilities to everyone else and glower.  She is a happy, kind, and serving person- I dare to say she has JOY!   So I've got things to work on.  I'm supposed to have joy.  Not just because I feel good or because people are helping me.  But because I'm alive, and I have a home, and I have the scriptures in my language, and King has a job, and I have friends, and beautiful children, and I know about my Savior!  As I've been setting goals this New Years a lot of old ones have come up: my scripture reading needs some more attention, my exercising (and lack there of) needs a boost, but the most important one to me is how I interact with my children.  I want them to see that I have joy.  That I am happy to be with them!  That I see the importance in the mom jobs and in the things I do with them and that despite my hard days- I can have JOY!  I am such a blessed person! 

So, as I blog and write down happenings this year- please don't let me forget!  Being thankful is a big part of seeing that Joy every day!  I'm going to give it my best!  I'm going to look for the positive and act accordingly- not letting other things dictate my mood and disposition!  Here's to a healthier year than its been thus far, and for having more joy in the journey!

1 comment:

Lessa said...

Oh Chris, I am so sorry that you've had such a rough few weeks. I'm sending good vibes for lots of sleep for all in your house (sleep makes almost everything better for me). H. has been sleeping on her tummy too these past couple weeks. She sleeps so much better that way too. Wish I lived closer and could come and see you!